Charbonnel et Walker Case Study
Delivering Charbonnel et Walker with a single Consolidated IT Platform following their acquisition of the House of Dorchester, another leading UK Chocolatier.
Following the successful acquisition of the House of Dorchester by Charbonnel et Walker, one of Britain’s first and finest chocolatiers, Wanstor was approached to help merge the two organisation’s IT Systems in order to provide efficiency gains, reduce operational costs and ensure complete and secure visibility of all systems for the effective management of the combined organisations going forward.
Founded in 1875, Charbonnel et Walker is one of the few chocolatiers to be privileged to be endorsed by Royal Warrant to Her Majesty The Queen, with an enviable client list that includes Royalty, aristocracy, socialites and the famous, who all enjoy the handmade chocolates and truffles sold from their 4 retail outlets, their ecommerce websites and leading luxury retailers such as Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and the like.
By purchasing the House of Dorchester, another leading British chocolatier, and keeping the two brands independent of each other, Charbonnel et Walker have been able to expand their effective client base to include leading hotels, restaurants, shops and venues, ensuring a larger stake of the luxury chocolate market.
The management of Charbonnel et Walker asked Wanstor to help as we have worked in partnership with them on their IT Services since 2006. During that time we have transformed Charbonnel et Walker’s IT operations and are now in a position where we store their data and deliver all of their critical business applications via private wide area network from our secure, geographically dispersed London data centres. Service is provided on a flexible per user, per month fully managed model that includes integrated networking monitoring and support.
Having audited the House of Dorchester IT setup, we discovered that their multiple sites all accessed their mission critical applications from servers located at their head office. Based on our audit and following extensive consultation, it was decided that the best way forward was to:
- Consolidate the two wide area networks (WAN’s) into a single, private MPLS WAN with upgraded Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) Internet access across their numerous sites.
- Provide a temporary server to allow us to merge and consolidate the two active directories into a single domain.
- Migrate the House of Dorchester core infrastructure into our data centre.
- Migrate critical application data away from the legacy House of Dorchester software applications for finance, CRM, time keeping, manufacturing, anti-virus, email and office to Charbonnel et Walker’s chosen business applications.
Following the successful migration, the merged IT Services have provided:
- Improved physical and data security, backed up by Wanstor’s ISO27001 Information Security Management accreditation.
- More robust online backups.
- Added redundancy and business continuity options.
- Reduced opportunities for connectivity bottlenecks, leading to more efficient operations.
- Better, consolidated organisation wide IT support.
- Improved management of a single, end-to-end IT Solution.
- Reduced administrative costs through more streamlined licensing and effective use of existing hardware, amongst other economies of scale benefits.
- Extensive management reporting and visibility.
- More predictable IT expenditure.
- A more flexible IT Solution that can be quickly adapted according to changing business needs.
Since the consolidation of the two separate networks into a single, end-to-end IT service from Wanstor, Charbonnel et Walker have enjoyed a reduction in IT costs and a seamless migration for the team at House of Dorchester.
- Reduced Operational Costs
- Improved Visibility
- Increased Security
- Future Proof Solution
- Business Efficiencies
Merging two IT systems can often be a very challenging endeavour to get right. Wanstor were proud to be able to help combine those systems and deliver real value to Charbonnel et Walker, further extending our excellent relationship.
James Braithwaite, Senior Solutions Analyst.